Lets, See at video “Let’s Visit Niagara Falls” bellow!
Let’s Visit Niagara Falls, Do you know Prambanan temple? Prambanan Temple or also known as Lara Jonggrang Temple is the largest Hindu temple complex in Indonesia. It is precisely located in about 17 km northeast of Yogyakarta city, Central Java. It was built in 9th century during the reign of Sanjaya dynasty and dedicated to the three main Hindu Gods or Trimurti; Brahma, Vishnu, and Shiva. Its greatness and magnificence attracts many visitors from around the globe every year.
Can you continue the description of Prambanan temple? To describe about specific thing such as Prambanan temple, you can use descriptive text. Descriptive text has generic structures, purpose, and language features. So, Let’s Visit Niagara Falls.
Purpose of Descriptive Text
- To describe person, thing, or place in specific.
- To describe a particular person, thing, or place.
Generic Structure of Descriptive Text
- Identification: contains about the introduction of a person, place, animal, or object will be described.
- Description: contains a description of something such as animal, things, place, or person by decribing its features, forms, colors, or anything related to what the writer describe.
Language Feature of Descriptive Text
- Specific participant : has a certain object, is not common and unique (only one), for example: Bandengan beach, my house, Borobudur temple, uncle Jim.
- The use of the adjective (an adjective) to clarify the noun, for example: a beautiful beach, a handsome man, the famous place in Jepara, etc.
- And, The use of simple present tense: The sentence pattern used is simple present because it tells the fact of the object described.
- Action verb: verbs that show an activity (for example, run, sleep, walk, cut, and etc).
Writing Description of Place
When you go to the famous place, you will see and know its description. Then when you are asked by your friend about the famous place that you have visited, you can describe it clearly. Especially for historical place, you must know the detail of the place. So, if you want to write a descriptive text such as description of place, it would be better if you consider:
- What is the name of the place?
- Where is the place?
- When was it built/formed?
- Do you recommend that people visit it?
- What does it look like?
- Then, What is interesting about it?
- What can you do there?
Example of Descriptive Text
Prambanan Temple or also known as Lara Jonggrang Temple is the largest Hindu temple complex in Indonesia. It is precisely located in about 17 km northeast of Yogyakarta city, Central Java. It was built in 9th century during the reign of Sanjaya dynasty and dedicated to the three main Hindu Gods or Trimurti; Brahma, Vishnu, and Shiva. Its greatness and magnificence attracts many visitors from around the globe every year.
Prambanan Temple was built on a four-square plane. Each plane is separated by four walls with four large gates on the middle as the entrance. The whole temple complex is divided into three major zones; the outer, middle, and inner zone. The outer zone is an open space and the bottommost terrace of the temple. The second area is the middle zone where hundreds of small temples were standing. The last area is the inner zone. It is the holiest and highest terrace of the temple. There are three major temples of Shiva, Vishnu, and Brahma that are standing on the inner zone, together with three small temple of their animal vehicle.
Passive voice is used when the focus is on the action. It is not important or not known, however, who or what is performing the action.
- My bike was stolen.
In the example above, the focus is on the fact that my bike was stolen. I do not know, however, who did it. Sometimes a statement in passive is more polite than active voice, as the following example shows.
- A mistake was made.
Forming the passive voice
Passive voice is not a tense in English. Each tense has its own passive voice which is created by using a form of the auxiliary verb to be + V3 (past participle).
Read Also: Announcement